“Carr’s Beach, at one time one of the leading beaches for east coast African Americans, was affectionately called, “The Beach.” Although The Beach no longer exists as a vacation getaway spot, Carr’s Beach and its neighboring Sparrow’s Beach were two of the major Chesapeake Bay resorts that catered exclusively to African Americans between the 1930s and the 1960s. Owned by sisters, Elizabeth Carr Smith and Florence Carr Sparrow, The Beaches were a vacation retreat for black families in the Mid-Atlantic region.
The origins of Carr’s Beach can be traced back to 1902 when Frederick and Mary Wells Carr purchased 180 acres of farmland on the Annapolis Neck Peninsula. While the family farmed the land as early as 1909 the Carr family hosted picnics and church outings and took in boarders. In 1926, two years before Frederick Carr’s death, the family founded Carr’s Beach.”